Frequently asked questions

How do I know which flowers are edible?


Only ever purchase and eat flowers that have been specifically grown for this purpose. Use a trusted grower and never eat flowers from a garden centre or florist as these are likely to have been sprayed with an array of chemicals.




Are some flowers poisonous?


Yes! There are many flowers which contain toxins and should never be eaten. These include daffodils, foxgloves, lupins, irises, delphiniums and many more.




How long will my edible flowers last?


Some flowers will last for up to 5 days if kept in their container in the fridge. Others are more delicate, like borage, and will start to deteriorate after 2-3 days.




How do I store my edible flowers?


Upon delivery, keep you flowers in their container in the fridge until you are ready to use them. Flowers going onto cakes should be added at the last minute. If they are left to stand on a cake on a warm day, they may begin to wilt. Likewise, flowers going into salads should be added just before serving. And always remember to dress your salad before adding the flowers!




Can you recommend which flowers I should use?


Yes, of course! Get in touch for advice using edible flowers for savory dishes, sweet dishes, saleds, desserts, cocktails, cakes and more!




What else do I need to know?


If you are new to eating edible flowers, start with small amounts. And if you have severe hay fever or a pollen allergy perhaps avoid altogether. Only ever eat the petals of flowers. Remove all stalks and sepals before eating. Some people may be allergic to tulips so introduce in small amounts if unsure.





0